Saturday 1 December 2007

Are You Mixed Race?

Are You Mixed Race?

Are you mixed race?

Nah, I’m not you know!

Oh! That’s mad you sure look it though!

Yes, I know I’m always told,


Are you mixed race?

No, I’m just light skin,

Wow! Thought you were, you got sort of a white grin,

What?

Well my Granddad is half white so I’m………….

Your what?

I’m lighter skinned.


Are you mixed race?

No! Not at all, look better at my face,

I don’t understand,

I’m just light skin man!

So how come your older sister’s hair is coolly,

Your mixed race you can’t fool me?

Nah, but my other Grandmother is half Guyanese,

And a lot of these people are Indian, you see?


So you are mixed race then?

No, like both my parents I’m black, Do I need to say it again!

But both your parents have mixes,

Hence your family’s lighter shade in pictures,

Well Yes, you are right,

Well then call us Black people, who are light,

I concur, you are correct that you are still black,

However any black person with light skin is mixed and that’s that!

Oh Okay! I’ll agree before this has the chance to worsen,

Look just because you are light, mixed, or whatever, it doesn’t make you any less of a black person!


So are you mixed race?

It’s very far back, but I have a mixed heritage, so I guess I am,

Yes, you are but you are part of something bigger, the Human race,

Be proud of yourself and everything that you have, Embrace,

I do and I’m proud of my family, so I guess I’m proud to be of mixed race.

No comments:

Post a Comment